Which racket sport is for me?
Put the spin back in your life with Racket sports! Not only do Racket sports assist you to maintain a healthy body weight and reduce your blood pressure, they also promote muscle strength which adds much benefit to both your upper body, arms and legs. Racket sports also play a pivotal role in the improvement of a person’s overall co-ordination, balance and mobility. If you haven’t yet given it a try then there is no better time that the present. You have nothing to lose, besides a few extra pounds, and so much to gain when engaging in this popular form of exercise.
The Health Benefits of Exercise
Some may love it, others may hate it, but it is a fact that regular exercise is able to do the following:
- Improve learning ability and brain cell growth
- Increase alertness, focus and attention
- Reduce stress, anger, anxiety and depression
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce the risk or diseases such as Dementia and Alzheimer’s
Why Racket Sports Are the Best!
It’s a known fact that all forms of exercise are good for you and no matter what sport you choose to do you are adding to your longevity by toning your muscles, burning calories and feeding the brain oxygen. But did you know that Racket sports have been researched as being the best sport to play so as to extend your life span!
What are the reasons for this?
- A possible explanation to this could be the fact that Racket sports make the cardiovascular system and brain work at the same time to build up your fitness levels while using complex movement’s. Strategic thinking combined with aerobic activity is an amazing combination that builds strength, flexibility and mental agility. Not many other sports offer this combination of health benefits.
- Research has shown that team sports are better than solo sports when it comes to overall health and luckily Racket sports are easily accessible to an abundance of people in many communities. You do not have to be a member of an exclusive country club to begin playing Racket sports.
- Racket sports contribute highly to a person’s balance, strength and flexibility which are all essential in the promotion of lifelong fitness.
- Racket sports can be played at any age and are able to promote social interaction amongst people from all walks of life.
Nothing can substitute for just plain hard work. I had to put in the time to get back. And it was a grind. It meant training and sweating every day. But I was completely committed to working out to prove to myself that I still could do it – Andre Agassi
Did You know?
- Scientists doing studies of different sports and their health benefits have found that by taking part in sports such as table tennis on a regular basis reduces your risk of death at any given age by almost 50%. Now that is something!
- Pickleball is a sport which is great for the elderly as well
- Squash is the healthiest but toughest sport in the world when it comes to Racket sports.
- The fastest sport in the world to date? Badminton!
- Tennis is a widely played Racket sport and is one of the most recognized individual sports in the world. It is estimated that there are over 60 million men and woman in the world who play tennis.
- Table Tennis is officially 6th place in the same World Atlas ranking as one of the most popular sports. It has nearly 1 billion fans from around the globe.
- Table tennis is also very popular in countries such as China, South Korea, Germany, and Sweden.
- Racketlon is a racket sporting event that incorporates a number of different racket sports into one, similar to the way in which you would have for a triathlon or decathlon. This event tests the racket players ability to challenge themselves with a variety of different racket sports and face opponents of a similar ability into four different racket sports. These sports are divided into table tennis, badminton, squash and tennis.
- Do you want to quit smoking? Racket sport can be extremely constructive for those trying to beat the habit. as it helps to distract and deviate your attention away from nicotine as well as other addictive substances.
The Benefits of Racquet Sports
Speed, agility, strength, stamina are just a few of the things required to play racket sports. Research has shown that athletes who play racket sports have the highest fitness levels than those who participate in other kinds of sports. Racket sports also teach a person planning and strategic skills in order to concentrate on the cerebral aspects of the game by using planning and strategy. Racket sports require a good level of joint movement thus enhancing the development of strong joints and muscles. When playing any racket sport you take on a stable stance to play your shots causing an increase in body stability.
Your thighs, knees and other muscles will also receive a workout second to none as will you biceps and forearms as you swing that racket and improve your upper body strength while conditioning your lower body at the same time with all the lateral movements that you are making.
Overall coordination and balance are improved due to quicker reaction times and the high impact nature of the sport will also contribute to improved bone density which is extremely important as you start to age. Add to that improved cognitive function by adapting to reactions based on ball placement, racket games have a significant positive effect on almost every part of your body.
If it is a sense of achievement that you are looking for then look no further. Due to rackets sport being predominately played as an individual sport you are able to achieve a great sense of achievement while enhancing your confidence and capabilities.
“Table Tennis is like an atom. To the ignorant it is merely microscopic and insignificant in existence, but to the dedicated, it is intricate in design and the building block to everything we know.”
– Matt Hetherington
How Do I Start playing table tennis?
You can find many table tennis tables available in your community centers or public parks. Ping pong tables are also often found in bars and game rooms all over the world. If you find that you enjoy the game, then consider buying your own ping pong or table tennis table.
Find a friend who is equally interested to start up with you and set up a regular fitness regime including plenty of racket sports that can keep you strong and healthy for many years to come. Here you can find an introduction to table tennis.
Give Racket Sports a Spin!
Racket sports are the ultimate blend of a mind and body activity and produces quality and high-intensity level workouts for people of all ages. At the same time, these sports are fun and almost addictive allowing you to take part in resistance training, balance drills and mental exercises all in one session! Racket sports carry with them the advantage of maximizing your health in shorter periods of time due to their high-intensity sessions. This can be beneficial for people who feel that they do not have the time to participate in any sports due to their hectic schedules. If you don’t try it you will never know, and with all the benefits associated with Racket sports how could you possibly say no?
“I let my racket do the talking. That’s what I am all about, really. I just go out and win tennis matches” – Pete Sampras